Healthcare in the US is going paperless, as electronic health records (EHRs) are now widely used. Paperless healthcare is not without challenges, as it requires significant investment in time and technology. But why is it important for a healthcare facility to move toward a paperless environment.
Here are some important reasons why healthcare facilities are going paperless.
- Increases the security of patient information.When it comes to health records, there is greater risk associated with traditional paper records. Digital records that are properly secured and monitored based on HIPAA security rules, are less likely to face a security breach.
- Financial incentives. Healthcare facilities can gain financial benefits by going paperless. By making the move to electronic files, eligible hospitals can access federal money under the EHR Incentive Program, once they can substantiate ‘meaningful use’ of electronic health records.
- Improves Efficiency: Digital records are available whenever and wherever they are needed. This makes sharing data between medical providers or with patients, much easier. The timely retrieval of data also saves time and money.
- Enhances quality of care. EHRs provide access to complete patient information at a glance, enabling physicians to improve patient care. Clinicians have ready access to lab results, clinical notes, prescription information, and more.
- Reduces errors. Digital records offer better documentation, without the annoying problems associated with paper files such as illegible handwriting or missing notes.
Successful EHR implementation depends on choosing the right hardware and software systems. Onyx Healthcare USA, Inc, located in Orange, CA, provides medical computer solutions that can make the transition to digital health records a smooth, cost-effective process.
Call us today at714-792-0774to schedule a consultation.